Re: My MGB got bent?

To: Mike Lishego <MIKESL@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: My MGB got bent?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 16:32:43 -0400
Mike Lishego wrote:

> Hello all,
>     This recent thread about rusted and sagging MGB's has gotten me
> thinking...My doors have never aligned well, even when all the bolts
> are loosened and the door pushed to the uppermost of it's travels -
> with new hinges, I might add.

  When I replaced my door hinges, I had to make some minor
modifications with the torch to get alignment to work as
much as I'd liked. It sounds like your situation, the extreme
mounting position as hard as I could bend the door and
tighten screws was JUST not quite right.

  A bit of blue flame and I could put them anywhere I wanted.

> I wonder if he didn't weld them
> in place without taking the proper precautions and the car
> subsequently began to fold.

  There is an unlikely but slightly less dangerous way to
get the alignment wrong.

  The door hinges mount to the A post, which is a box section
closed at the bottom by the sill.

  If you welded the bottom of the A post to the sill such that
it was not quite in the right place, the door could droop
but in this case be harmless.

>     How can I determine if this happened to my car?  If my car is
> bent by the DPO's ignorance, what would be the best road to take?

  Drive it. Ignore it.

--
Trevor Boicey, Ottawa, Canada.
tboicey@brit.ca, http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/