Oil, Oil Everywhere, and not a drop to...73 B

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Oil, Oil Everywhere, and not a drop to...73 B
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 14:55:38 -0500
Went to change my oil today, and when finished, kablooey, new oil all over
the place.
I found the culprit at the valve cover. About 3 inches of gasket on the left
side had squirmed inside the cover, allowing oil to spew out. Why it waited
'til then, I have no idea, other than I overfilled a tad and Punkin is just
being considerate by not losing it at 60mph on the highway.
Question #1: I used #2 gasket sealant when I installed, does everyone use
this stuff? Is it better to let it "set" for a while and "glue" the gasket
to the cover before installing? Is that where I went wrong?
Question #2: Does anyone know of a more common car that will cross over
nicely for use on a B head? The reason the gasket warped to the inside is
that it seemed to be a fraction too large. It was ordered from Moss. In my
neck of the woods, no shop carries gaskets for a '73 B. But it seems to be a
pretty average size. I suppose I could make my own.
My red charge light coincidentally started glaring at me at the same time,
but since the alt and belt are on the opposite side, I probably am just due
a belt tightening.
When it rains it poors! But I love it! (I'm sick...hehe) "Punkin" is doing
well otherwise, giving good daily service.
Still gotta figure out that horn problem too...but it's freakin' HOT out
there!

Dan
73 B