MGA overheating question

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGA overheating question
From: baldycotton@pop.mindspring.com
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:22:33 -0400
I'd just like a little assurance, or warning, about overheating.

Usually my MGA runs at about 175-180 degrees on the highway.
Yesterday I got caught in traffic for several miles, at a stop and go
crawl. The temp creeped up to about 220.  I could see far enough ahead to
know the traffic was going to speed up, so I didn't know if I should pull
over and let traffic get heavier while she cooled off or not.

I turned on the heat until my right sock and sneaker melted into a puddle
on the floorboard, but without much apparent effect on the guage. (...but
it may have prevented the head from doing the same thing.)

If she ran up to the top (230), I definately would have pulled over.  Soon
the traffic cleared
and  inside of about two miles she dropped back down to 190 (whew!) and ran
okay.

What are the safe ranges?

What is the recommended antifreeze/water mix for summertime use?

I have an oil cooler (not much good at 3mpg) and use Water-Wetter, which I
really like.

TIA
Dave Iwansky
'62 MGA 1600 MkII