RE: MGF and roadster thoughts WAS Re: terrible joke -

To: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: MGF and roadster thoughts WAS Re: terrible joke -
From: "Chris Delling" <saschris@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:22:07 -0400
Dan-

Sorry to flame ya, but I think you're WAYYY off base on a couple of things.

Chrysler does in fact own Maserati, but they (Maserati) had nothing to do
with the design of the MGBGT.  MG was having problems with the roofline of
the GT, and ended up contracting with a Italian design firm - Pininfarina I
believe - who may have been responsible for the design of some Maserati
coachwork, but was not a part of Maserati.

The LeBaron and more recently Sebring convertibles have had HUGE commercial
sucess.  The LeBaron may not have been a "good car" but it certainly sold
well.  The Sebring has met with substantial critical praise from the
automotive press, in addition to it's sales numbers.  I will allow that the
K-car convertibles of the early 80's were total shit. however.

I am not sure, but you seem to indicate that the MGF would not be
commercially sucessful in the U.S. due to a poor reputation for quality
associated with MG.  Here I think you are wrong once again.  MG's quality
reputation was excellent until the last part of the 70's, when the design of
the B did not come close to meeting the standards of the day.  There were
far too many band-aid engineering jobs, which resulted in cars that had a
lot of problems.  I think that you would basically be looking at two market
segments for the F - people like us, dedicated MG lovers, and secondly a new
group of younger people, who are excited about a new sports car.  The second
group would be too young to associate any quality problems of a 70's vintage
car with a late 90's modern sports car.

>From the articles I have read, the F was never designed to be built in large
quantities, or to provide the low costs that this style of manufacturing
brings.  It was expected to be a lower volume market.  This approach,
according to MG, would not work here, as they view the U.S. market as
favoring a higher volume/lower cost vehicle than the F is capable of being.
Whether this is true or not can be debated.

Regards,

Chris Delling