Re: True or False

To: "'MG submission'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: True or False
From: "Cordell, Ralph Ph.D." <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 11:12:51 -0400
The folks on the turbo buick group get occasional posts from 14-17 yos who
are considering an '87 Grand National for a first car.  Now these things
will do a quarter mile in 13-14 secs right out of the box and for less than
a $1000, they can get down into the 11's and 12's.  The top end is somewhere
above 130 and the windows start to suck out and the front end to lift at
those speeds.  That is some pretty serious muscle for someone to be learning
on and there is a tendency to discourage beginners from going that route.

Depending on the individual, I would have no problems recommending that a
16-17 yo consider an LBC for a first car.  My '59 MGA was my first car. The
older ones are great examples of Auto Mechanics 201 and one can get a great
idea of just how a car works by caring for an LBC.  After working with my
dual SUs and distributor, I have a much better appreciation for the ECM in
my GN.  If a person has the desire to learn about cars and work on their
own, LBCs are great places to start.  With a good detail job, they are
incredible magnets.  Now I look a bit like a burnt out ol biker but have had
incredible babes pull along side and tell me what a great car I have.  A
woman stranded in an LBC would draw a hoard of willing male helpers.  If RWD
cars are so dangerous to learn to drive in snow - how come so many of us
OF's made it this far?   One is unlikely to load a half dozen buddies in the
car and wrap it around a tree at 110 mph.  If you do anything that stupid -
you are unlikely to take more than one other person with you.  WRTO resale
value - I put approx $8K in parts and paint into restoring my MGA.  I may or
may not be able to get that much for the car.  OTOH I get a lot more
comments/admiring glances etc with my '59 than I ever do in my wifes '96
Roadmonster that I bought for around $30K.  The old Chevy's, Fords and GTOs
that I see running town have a lot more panache than virtually any newer car
with the possible exception of a Viper (see a few) or Prowler (never seen
one).

Ralph Cordell
rzc4@cdc.gov
Hospital Infections Program
"Never try to teach a pig to sing.   All you do is waste your time and annoy
the pig" - Mark Twain
'59 MGA
'84 Turbo Regal
'87 Grand National