Horns

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Horns
From: Chris Chandler <spawn@net-link.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 20:37:57 -0500
Well, I've traced my problem to the horn switch.

I started with the horns themselves.  The DPO had the wiring all messed
up... on the RH horn they had one purple and one black mated together
for each set of terminals and on the other they just had them backwards.

I straightened that around and began testing.  Using a heavy lead with
alligator clips on each end I tested each horn by connecting the lead to
the purple/black terminal and grounding it.

After I got done cleaning out my drawers after they nearly blew my ears
off, I moved inside the car and checked for (and found) power running to
the switch on both purple and purple/black.

My next thought was perhaps a bad ground, although I had used the ground
with my test light and found it to work just fine.  To test this I
decided to get creative.  On the harness leading to the turn/bright/horn
switch (before it got to the main loom) I stripped a small bit of
insulation off of the ground and off of the purple black and touched
them together.  Horns worked magnificently!  Obviously the grounding was
sufficient.

I taped that all back up and tucked it away and started looking at the
switch.
I cannot come up with any way to get inside that stalk to check the
contacts.  Is this something that can't be repaired, or is there an
obvious way to take it apart that I'm just missing?

As usual any and all help appreciated!

Chris
'72 B Roadster "Red Baron"
'70 B Roadster "Ghost"