Math

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Math
From: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 00:52:55 -0800
Hi all,

I know I'm a dumbo so don't bother telling me I am, even after this
message ok! <G>

I've been trying to learn a little automotive math to work out
Compression Ratios for the purpose of knowing what to machine, how much
to machine etc, what affect different pistons have on CR etc etc - 'what
if' stuff. Anyway the point is, I can't work back to the quoted CR in
the MG manual of 8.8.1.

I must be missing something, or receiving something different to what
I'm expecting - or more probably the data I have is not correct for the
calculation.

Bore: 3.16"
Stroke: 3.5"

>From that I calced Swept Volume to be: 449.82 cc's.
Combustion Chamber Volume: 42.5cc

SV + CCV / CCV = 11.58 CR

Ok, what am I doing wrong? My spreadsheet I did up works from the test
data in this blueprinting book I have. Is there something different
about the data I'm supplying? I guess there must be.. I've ordered a
real auto math book that I guess will answer this, but somebody want to
explain anyways? :)) Is this a GCR vs CR thing? I have no idea what the
difference is at this point!?! <G>

Comments please! :) Total newbie - handle with care. <G>

Thanks,
Neil.