Re: Points Gap and Timing (2Q)

To: skye@ffwd.bc.ca, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Points Gap and Timing (2Q)
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 00:00:26 EST
Answers to your questions
1.  Assuming that your dwell meter is a) accurate, b) you have it set
correctly (4 cyl scale), and c) you are reading it correctly (this only
applies to analog meters) the dwell meter is much more accurate than feeler
gauges.  After all you are making a precision electronic measurement, not
using feeler gauges.  If your points are pitted, there is no way to get an
accurate reading with a feeler gauge.  There is one more thing that could be
coming into play here.  If your distributor shaft is worn your static setting
and your dwell reading will be way different.  Here is a hint.  Hook up your
dwell meter and run the engine.  Does your dwell vary as engine speed changes?
If it goes from 60 to hell and gone and back again then your distributor shaft
is got way too much slop in it.
2.  Wait a minute here, 5 degrees is retarded from 10 degrees.  The full
statement is 10 degrees before top dead center (BTDC).  Top dead center is
when #1 is at the absolute top of it stroke.  The ten degrees refers to how
many crankshaft degrees (before or sometimes after) TDC the spark fires.  So 5
degrees BTDC would be less advanced than 10 degrees BTDC.
If after you have adjusted the dwell correctly if the timing is out too far
then the distributor needs to be loosened and turned until all the marks line
up.
I suspect that your dist. has a lot of play in the shaft and when you set the
dwell with a meter instead of a feeler gauge it moves past the amount that you
can adjust with the "dizzy"
Have fun,
Rick Ewald