Re: Springtime Tune-up

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Springtime Tune-up
From: Gaetke <gaetke@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 22:35:33 -0800
>>expect to see an air leak around the throttle shafts, and I'll be sad.  I
>>also plan to solder the poppet valves shut.

        When I took my carbs off (HIF4s) earlier this week, I found the rear
valve
soldered shut and the front one standard (present and functioning).  I was
going to ask the list but forgot until this discussion jogged my memory:

        Why would you do this?

        Also, why would someone (I assume it wasn't the DPO, was it, Mike ? :)
hehe ) only do it to one carb?

        Further, is this what made it hard to balance my carbs at idle?

        I was going to replace the soldered valve, but maybe I should be doing
some soldering on the front one instead.  Pros/cons, anyone?

  -Matt Gaetke