Re: loc-tite

To: gaetke@ix.netcom.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: loc-tite
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 13:28:32 EST
In a message dated 1/15/99 6:11:06 AM Pacific Standard Time,
gaetke@ix.netcom.com writes:

>       I guess maybe I should ask a more specific question if I want a more
>  specific answer.  Would you use it on main bearing cap nuts?  big-end
>  bearing bolts (mine have lock tabs though, so maybe I don't need it)
>  Backplate bolts?  Frontplate bolts?  Camshaft nut?  Crank bolt?  Flywheel
>  bolts?  Clutch bolts?  Back of the accelerator (anyone seen the original
>  Blues Brothers?)?  Would you use it on every threaded fitting going back on
>  the engine?

Personally, and I do emphasize the word personally, If the engine has
mechanical locking tabs I use new ones of those if available.  I reuse the old
ones if new are not available.
I usually use 242 (blue) on the flywheel bolts.  Pressure plate bolts don't do
much so I don't bother.  (It's the little dowel pins that hold the torque NOT
the bolts)
As far of the rest of the list you gave for the most part no I do not use Loc-
tite on these fasteners, I torque them to spec.  If it makes you feel better
use 242 (blue) on these fasteners.  It can't hurt if it is done properly.  I
have never used Loc-tite on any fuel system fastner or linkage for two
reasons: 1. Gas is greasy and must be completely cleaned away before the Loc-
tite would work, and 2. I stopped using Hollywood movies as technical guides
many years ago. <VBG>
Hope this helps
Rick Ewald