Cam lift, pushrods and other neat stuff. <G>

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Cam lift, pushrods and other neat stuff. <G>
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 01:16:57 +1000
Hi all,

My engine removal (and now Gearbox, thank you all) is progressing fine,
albeit slowly. Have the propshaft left to remove and a couple of wires then
it's time to really freak myself out and lift the bloody thing! <G>. On to
another topic, the point of my Email.

I'm trying to calculate what length pushrods I'll need if I choose a Cam
with a different lift, to maintain correct Valve geometry. I realise there
are a lot of variables to this, some of which I've sourced from mgbmga.com
(Great reference), the more esoteric components - valve spring tension and
how it affects quoted rocker ratio etc to produce the effective rocker ratio
etc. I am doing all this because I wish to pick a cam lift, that will
achieve the valve lift I require, based on CFM through the head - utilising
higher ratio rocker arms along the way, so I don't have to pick a really
high lift cam with the associated, increased load and wear on the cam lobes.

To the point, I have data on the height of a std Tappet (lifter), but I
can't find info on the length of a pushrod. Admittedly my Bentley's is at
work, I'm looking at the Haynes manual. Does something have this data to
hand? I guess, I will need the total length of the pushrod and lifter -
assembled - to calculate what length rods I will need with the theoretical
cam. This is only theory at the moment, I won't know what cam to pick until
I get the head flowbenched.  I realise this keeping this geometry is crucial
to long lasting life of the rockers. I also realise, skimming the head,
block etc affects these calcs, not to mention valve clearance, so I will
have to physically measure all my bits before I purchase anything.

Might be best to email me privately on these ones, I tend to ramble. OK, I
tend to ramble a lot. <VBG>

Thanks,
Neil.