Nitrile Gaskets

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Nitrile Gaskets
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 13:20:22 +1000
Hi all,

Thought I'd mention a real useful product I just purchased and received for
my motor rebuild. As y'all know when you take the Rocker cover and
Tappet/Side covers off, the gaskets tend to get mangled, worse with age. If
you're in there playing with valve clearances the cork ones becomes a pain
in the butt and a waste of money buying new ones. Anyway I got some nitrile
Rocker cover gaskets - $52.00 AUD - around $33.50 USD - from Rob Grantham in
Western Australia - robgrantham@hotmail.com, and these are great. Very
solid, don't distort etc. I'm not sure if he's got side cover gaskets of the
same type for B's and A's but he has them for T types. Those side cover
gaskets are a real pig. Both installing and removing because they're cork
and they hang vertically, they move all over the place when you reinstall
them. Plus because of the oil going through the covers, especially the front
one, the cork deteoriates very badly. I had to sand the old gaskets off my
covers!!! These nitrile ones are quite stiff and can be reused over and over
again, because they bounce back to shape, unlike cork, once it's squashed,
it's squashed. <G>

Anyway, just a good thing I thought I'd pass on - no financial interest
whatsoever!

Cheers,
Neil.
--