Re: Nitrile Gaskets

To: "Rich Peterson" <kerry3@earthlink.net>, "MGS" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Nitrile Gaskets
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:02:20 +1000
Rich,

>and information from the manufacturers, nitrile (NBR) is typically rated
>at 100-110 degrees celsius for continuous operation.  At temperatures

Gee very good point Rich. But what 110C is around 300F no? I know that with
powder coating you heat to around 400F, and apparently isn't recommended for
cylinder heads... Do they really get that hot? Can someone comment who has
experience in this area?

>significantly higher than that, it tends to harden and crack over time.

Well, I guess even if the temps are higher than 110C, these gaskets will
still outlast a Cork one, as every time you have to remove these, they are
distorted, squashed etc and never seal as well again. I'll try mine out and
let the list know how it all goes. :)

Cheers,
Neil.