Re: Buying my first MG

To: PBcrispie@aol.com
Subject: Re: Buying my first MG
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 1999 20:26:27 +0000
Listers,

Isn't it wonderful that all these youngsters are interested in MG's?

Mason,

I agree with Don about getting an early MG, but I'll go even farther and suggest
that you get a pre-'68 car (whether B, Midget, 1100, or other).  I prefer the
classic metal and chrome beasts and it is possible to update the car with all
the improvements that came along later like alternators, two-speed wipers,
full-synchro trans, 1275 engine, etc.

I also agree with your choice of an MG over a Porsche.  I worked on both as a
professional mechanic and I drive MG's.  And it ain't the money.  If a Porsche,
with their higher purchase price, is an option for you, then you should be able
to afford buying a fixer-upper and restoring it.  I heartily recommend this.
There's nothing like driving a car that you built and know everything about.
It's something to tell your grandkids about.

Other people on the list can tell you about MG-buying pitfalls to avoid and
books that tell you everything you need to know.  I tend to buy cars in terrible
condition because I can't stand to see them go to the junkyard.  So don't listen
to me. ;-)

Denise Thorpe