help requested with rewiring wiper circuit

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: help requested with rewiring wiper circuit
From: Ray Wygonik <rwygonik@grove.iup.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 1999 10:01:57 -0400
First thanks for the help with understanding adding relays to various
circuits.  THe web site I was directed to (you know who your are) is
excellent.  I have everything figured out except the wiper circuit.  My
wiring diagram shows 5 wires to the wiper motor.  1. Black-ground wire;  2.
Green/pink - common to a number of circuits including the washer pump and
then three other wires coming from the wiper switch.  3. blue/light green;
4. red/light green and  5. brown/light green.

I need help here.   The wiper is supposedly two speed. (I have slow and
slower).
Is the speed of the motor changed by tapping on to the motor coil at a
different location?  Don't you change the speed of a DC motor by changing
resistance?  Why three wires from the switch?  Do I put a relay in the
system between each wire of the three wires running from the wiper switch
controling a direct power connection?

Hopefully my ignorance makes sense to someone.  My wiper circuit would
benefit the most from some good power direct from starter through a relay.
(fused of course)