Re: Original Equipment BL radios

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Original Equipment BL radios
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 23:50:33 EDT
In a message dated 4/6/99 5:26:30 AM !!!First Boot!!!, ejrussell@tmlp.com
writes:

> In my (pos ground) MGA I hooked up a neg ground radio by isolating the radio
>  from the metal instrument panel with plexi-glass brackets. (Easy to
>  fabricate by heating and bending/twisting...) Then I connected + to + and -
>  to -. I didn't do anything special about the antennae because, as I
>  mentioned, I didn't know I needed to worry about that.

For those isolating the radio chassis I would recommend putting a fuse in the
negative power line. In a positive ground car, the negative lines are the
"hot" wires which need a fuse. I don't know how Eric got around the antenna
problem. The shield of the antenna line would be a direct short from the
negative chassis of the radio to the positive body of the car. With the
shield open, to avoid the short circuit, the radio reception would be noisy
on weak stations. But for tapes or CDs, who cares?

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336