Re: stupid radiator!

To: "Josef Kurtz" <kurtz@helix.mgh.harvard.edu>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: stupid radiator!
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 1999 10:39:22 -0500
Joey,
   The radiator isn't a big deal.  Drain, disconnect the hoses, remove the
screws holding it to the surround, remove the braces going from the top two
bolts to the fenders and it will come strait out.
   The first thing I would do is take it to a good radiator shop for
evaluation.  If it's just a leak around the hose fitting or bottom tank,
they can fix it in a jiffy.  While it's out they can pull both tanks, rod it
out to clean up the passages through the tubes, put it all back together and
pressure test it.  Around here this all run's about $50-$60, and is a darn
site cheaper than a new radiator.
  As they say in the books, install in the reverse order, fill with coolant
mix, fire it up and see what you get.  If it didn't run too hot for too
long, you may be alright, but you may end up checking for things like
warped/cracked head, etc., but don't worry about that 'till you get there,
whats done is done.
   I'd go ahead and change the oil and filter, and if I had previous data
on the compression, I'd check that to see if anything had changed, then go
for it.
Good luck,
Harlan.