Lubing the Engine During Rebuild

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Lubing the Engine During Rebuild
From: "Michael P. Thelen" <mthelen@jpl.nasa.gov>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 1999 08:14:15 -0700
Hello List!

I am in the process of rebuilding my '73 MGB - some of you
may remember my desparate questions on how to unseize an engine
a couple months back.

I am in the process of a slow rebuild - just got my beatiful
engine back last week.  I would like to take my time and do it
right my first time.  In addition, while the engine is out, I
want to do all the body work and paint.  So what about lubing
the engine?  I got some assembly moly lube and applied it to the
crankshaft bearings, but what about the cylinder walls?  Someone
told me that moly lubes create carbon deposits when heated too
much.  Also, what other components do I need to lube up if the
engine is going to be on the workbench for a while before final
installation and running it?  I was told that regular motor
oil would not last long enough.

Thanks!,

 - Mike Thelen -
'73 MGB, Pasadena CA