Re: Maaco info

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: Maaco info
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 15:55:33 -0700 (PDT) (22:55 UT)
>I beg you!  PLEASE don't let Maaco paint a British car!

 They suck. You get what you pay for.
<You don't want to end up with the DPO tag, do you?

 I had them do Tintin about ten years ago.  I stripped EVERYTHING off
that I didn't want them to paint.  They did some minor body work, cut out the
right front fender bottom and the rocker panel, welded in the Moss
replacements, sprayed primer on the new areas, shot two-component urethane
with clearcoat over it, all for $1000.
There are some flaws in the paint, but 10, even 5 feet it looks good.
Tintin's a driver, not a trailer queen.  I tried hard to find someplace that
was between $1000 and $3500.  It seems there are two classes:
Shoot and run, and concours restoration.  Nothing in between.
As it was, they did get some primer on my chrome wires, and neglected to
weld my muffler mount back on as requested, so they did it afterwards and
burned the paint.  I'm not ecstatic, I'm not furious.  I got what I paid for,
and I got within the realm of what I wanted.
And again, I'm sure each shop is different.  This one was in Fountain Valley,
California.

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*