Re: Maaco info

To: TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Maaco info
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 21:08:16 EDT
In my experience the short coming with Macco and other shops like them (Earl
Sheib et al) is not the skill of the painter, but rather the shortcuts taken
in prep and the use of cheap paint.  If you are going to paint a car for $100
there is just not time to do the same prep and you are going to have use a
cheaper grade of material.  The last car I painted myself was in 85 and I
spent over $100 just in materials.
I had a friend who had a car he wanted painted so he did all the prep
himself, bought the paint he wanted and got the local discount shop to shoot
it for him.  I asked him why he did it this way and did not spray it himself,
his response made sense "These guys really know how to lay paint, that what
they do all day long.  I don't paint cars very often so they are going to do
a better job of laying on the paint then I will.  Plus if you can make the
stuff they call paint look good, with high quality paint it will look great."
I have to admit that his car looked very good when it was done.
Skill levels and quality will of course vary from painter to painter.
YMMV, don't try this at home, read instructions first, use only under adult
supervision, $.02
Rick Ewald