Re: Best glue to use for bonnet insulation

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: Best glue to use for bonnet insulation
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 16:57:48 -0700 (PDT) (23:57 UT)
>I recently bought some bonnet insulation panels from Northwest Imports.
 These panels are basically thick cloth with a rubber backing.  I used
 standard contact cement to attach them--only to have them drop off the
 bonnet after driving a few miles.

 What type of glue/cement do you folks use to attach this insulation?
 Obviously, it has to bond rubber to metal and stand up to engine
<compartment heat.

 My panels are still in the box, so take this with a grain of salt:
In the past, the recommended adhesive has been silicone sealant/adhesive.
I bought high-temperature spray-on adhesive, Scotch brand, but I
haven't used it yet.  I used silicon sealant on the original insulation,
but those were fiber pads with no backing, and it was difficult to
get enough sealant onto them.  It did work, though.  The sealant is
still there years after the panels dropped off!  :-(

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*