Re: Fuel pump

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel pump
From: "DENNIS COX" <djc@appsig.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:56:06 -0700
--------------64413341E5CCE546ED5C4599

The SU pump is fairly easy to rebuild.  Most of the problems are caused by
the points.  The points are easly replaced.  The diaphram is available and
once you have it apart for the points is easly replaced.  I rebuilt mine
and it has worked flawlessly ever since.  I did remove the gas tank and
had it boiled out and coated at the same time.   This removed all the rust
and gunk and the internal coating prevents it from rusting any further.  I
also replaced all the flex fuel lines and sprayed plenty of Chem-tool
through all the solid lines.   All this was to make sure that there was no
debree in the lines to clog up my rebuilt pump or have a 30 year old flex
line fail.

JRLNJ@aol.com wrote:

> I think I need to replace or rebuild the SU fuel pump in a 76 B I just
> bought.  It will start, and idle for a few minutes, then die.
> How successful is rebuilding the pump?
> Is it better to just buy a new one?
> Does anyone have good experience with a substitute pump, like a NAPA?
> Thanks,
> Ray Lynch
> 76 MGB

--------------64413341E5CCE546ED5C4599