Re: Car Pricing Guide - rave on...

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Car Pricing Guide - rave on...
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:41:02 -0700
Eric Erickson had this to say:

>wizardz wrote:
>>
>> ...again...pay attention to the exchange rates
>> 1 $ AUS = roughly $0.65USD

>... as warned, but the price comparison remains...
>
>How many Americans would pay $US6,500 to $7,000 for, as I described it,
>"probably good daily driver (no show pony) w/maint".

Exactly! It was ten years ago, but I bought my 66 with a recent respray
in the original Tartan Red, good chrome (one ding in grille surround), OK
vinyl interior, supposed recent engine rebuild, new (or patched?) sills,
just starting to bubble in the doglegs, for $700. That's seven hundred US
dollars. Like yours, it had bondo from previous incidents both front and
rear, and it did have a non-original 73-style grille (PO's preference? or
just available?). Doggy MGBs are still available for very little money in
the US.

It turned out mine had a cracked main bearing cap (from the rebuild?) and
soon manifested a knock ending in catastrophic failure in 7 months, but I
put in a low-mile engine for $650 which is still going strong.

At any rate, at that time $3000-4000 would have bought the nicest B in
the state. Today, $6000-7000 would buy as nice an example as I would ever
expect to own (being a driver and not an undercarriage polisher or street
racer).

--

Max Heim