Are you sure?(car started - for 5 minutes! Need battery!)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Are you sure?(car started - for 5 minutes! Need battery!)
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 22:56:33 GMT
Those voltages don't sound possible for a battery that actually runs the
engine, but I guess it must be (I'm assuming you had a good ground for the
voltmeter...if not, it will read very low). Most 12V batteries have next to
nothing for current somewhere around 9-10 volts. And if it died while it
was going back to your place under its own power, it probably *is* a
problem with the charging system (i.e. generator or associated wires).
Here's what probably happened...you charged it enough so that it would
start, and the battery was able to run the engine for a while, but ran down
while on the way home...if your charging system is working properly, I'd
expect the car to keep running as long as you don't shut it off...so don't
chuck that battery yet.

Why does your '79 midget have a generator, anyway? Whether generator or
alternator, take it off, take it to local auto parts store and have it spin
tested.
Nevin