Changing Rear End Ratio in a TD

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Changing Rear End Ratio in a TD
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 18:07:22 EDT
I've always shied away from highway driving in my TD. The engine just doesn't
sound too happy at 4000rpm. I've finely decided to take the plunge and change
the rear end ratio. My mechanic has an MGA parts car, and is ready to sell me
any parts I need from the rear end. Are the ring and pinion gears the only
two parts I'll need from the MGA?

Also, what is the recommended ratio for highway driving? Here are the options
I've found:

    Standard TD 5.125   3900rpm @ 55mph (What I have now)
    TD option       4.875   3700rpm @ 55mph
    TD option           4.555   3470rpm @ 55mph (Gears available from Moss)
    MGA             4.3     3300rpm @ 55mph
    MGA             4.1     3120rpm @ 55mph

My mechanic claims the MGA parts car has a ratio of 4.5, but I only see 4.3
and 4.1 in the literature. Is he mistaken?

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336