Re: compression?

To: wizardz <wizardz@maxinter.net>, MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: compression?
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 12:56:21 -0700
On Wed, Aug 11, 1999 at 03:30:49PM -0400, wizardz wrote:
> My '73 18V engine has a good 140 psi compression
> is it true a '72 is only around 130 new and 115 psi would still be OK?

Compression guages are not noted for their absolute accuracy.  A lot of
things factor into the final reading.  What is critical is that all of
the cylinders read within about 5 psi of each other.  You will also
likely get slightly different readings if you take compression readings
on the same cylinder multiple times.

The other thing to check is the difference between "wet" and "dry" readings.
You don't want much difference.  If the pressure goes way up, then you
have worn rings.

Anyways, 115 on all 4 cyls should be fine.  115 on one or two and 130
on the others would not be good.

   Larry

--
"I actually like granola".   -Geoff Miller
lrc@red4est.com                                 http://www.red4est.com/lrc