Re: Thoughts on a American Limited Edition?

To: "Tab Julius" <tab@penworks.com>, "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on a American Limited Edition?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 21:38:42 -0700
Well, you can buy the stripe kit from Moss (it should be silver, not
white -- look again), but I would imagine that all black 1980 models were
LEs, anyway (yes, Clausager confirms this). Other than trim, the only
distinctive features I know of were the front air dam and cast alloy
wheels (OK, steering wheel and dash plaque). So the good and bad points
would be the same as any late RBB. So, IMHO, while it isn't worth paying
extra for an LE unless you have your heart set on one, there is no reason
to avoid one either.

Since you use the term "American Limited Edition", should I assume you're
in Canada? If you're in the UK I would think the lefthand drive would
make it obvious (that it's American, I mean), and the home market cars
were Bronze or Pewter Metallic.

I really don't think there is much of an incentive to fake the LE part. I
think you're right about 6000 of 'em, let's see what Clausager has to
say... 6682 from March1979 to August 1980, car numbers 492071 to 523000.

Probably the best thing about 'em is the potential for relatively low
mileage, such as this example; although condition, not mileage, is the
key point with LBCs.

A good black car looks pretty sharp, to me, but I've always liked British
Racing Green, too, especially with wire wheels.

Tab Julius had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149