Re: Newbee

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Newbee
From: Mike Dwyer <mldwyer@saber.net>
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 10:20:09 -0700
> Steve,

I once went through 6 or 7 fuel filters before I got all of the crud out of the
tank.  Clean the tank, blow out the metal lines, and replace any flexible lines.
I've cleaned several tanks at home:
    1. Remove it from the car
    2. Either take it to a shop if your don't want to mess with chemicals.
    3. Or, use a small chain inside the tank, shake it, rattle it, and roll it.
    4. Rinse completely with large amounts of water
    5. Blow dry, I use a heat gun, my wife's hair dryer worked in the past.
    6. Seal all vent tubes and fuel line connections.
    7. Use heavy rubber gloves and eye protection. Put in 1/2 gallon, or so, of
Muriatic acid, (available at Pool supply stores)
    8. Put the gas filler cap on and swirl it around letting it coat and sit on
each
surface. Total time - 15 - 20 minutes.
    9. Carefully drain the acid into a suitable container.
    10. Rinse with water completely, and dry again.
    11. I've had good luck without any additional coatings. You may want to
find and
use a coating impervious to gasoline. ("Hemming's Motor News") has many listed.

> My thoughts are: since the problem was "cured" for a time by the new fuel
>filter, a
> clogged filter, and it's causes, would be the first indication I would
>eliminate.

Good luck

Mike Dwyer
Magic Auto
Redwood Valley, CA
mldwyer@saber.net

60 VW Single Cab
74 VW Westy
76 Cosworth Vega
78 MBZ 300D
85 MBZ 300SD
(Friend with a restored 60 MGA 1600, a 58 project MGA, and a large volume of
parts)

Keep Smiling!

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 01:29:35 EDT
> From: "Steven C. Zabel" <stubalub@juno.com>
> Subject: Newbee
>
>         I'm somewhat in the same boat with Scott (subject: "loss of
> power").  I bought my '76 B about three months ago from a guy who
> pampered it...  did a complete body resto.  He left the engine alone with
> 59,000 original miles on it, but said the carb could probably use a
> rebuild.

...The loss of power is frequent, but not consistent, sometimes so
slight that it just feels like small bumps in the road (gotta love that
suspension), and sometimes bad enough that it feels like a serious case
of hiccups. ...