Re: Speeding Tickets(now seat belts)

To: dwilkins@wcta.net
Subject: Re: Speeding Tickets(now seat belts)
From: dwilkins@wcta.net (Don Wilkins)
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 23:19:50 GMT
On Mon, 13 Sep 1999 12:53:52 -0500, you wrote:

>Barney Gaylord wrote:
>
>> Now if you are stopped by a cop for any other reason and he happens to
>> notice a seat belt violation, then you can still be ticketed for it.  I
>> think this is most often done in conjunction with not having the kids
>> buckled up in the back seat.  In any case it usually results in the
>> issuance of two tickets, one for the belts and one for something else (such
>> as speeding), so there is no argument that you were stopped just for the
>> belt violation.
>
>Oklahoma did just the opposite: now they can stop and ticket you for a
>seatbelt infraction. The Feds are pushing this policy. It's easy for the
>police to see if you have your belt done up in the newer cars with
>across-the-chest-plus-lap setups.

Well when NY did this there was an immediate market for T-shirts and
sweat shirts with a diagonal band from the left shoulder to the waist.

Nice simulation of a shoulder belt but not very effective to prevent
sticking your head through the windshield.

The thing that amazed me was that the police would run a road check
and write ticket after ticket for no seat belt and the jerks sat there
complaining about the traffic stop as they waited their turn to get
checked and then moved up to get the ticket. Never occurred to them
during the wait that it might be prudent to buckle up.