Re: Head gasket repair

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Head gasket repair
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 00:44:57 +0000
M. Edwin Vaughan wrote:

> I took my '77 B to repair shop and they quoted me $800 to replace the
> head gasket. Is this par for the course?

This seems high to me... maybe more work required than just machine head
and replace gasket!  When I blew the head gasket on my little
cross-country drive earlier this year (he shudders at the thought) I had
to get the head done at a 'foreign' shop and it cost me  a little over
$500.  This is in AUSTRALIAN dollars - otherwise known as South Sea
Pesos - so I would have thought it would be a bit cheaper in the
northern hemisphere.  Of course, I *could* be wrong :-)

Since then I still believe that I probably hadn't blown the gasket at
all as I have now seen enough 'Bs with signs of water oozing down their
block after high revving racing to believe it is almost normal.

> If I ever get marrried I wonder how long my wife will last!?!?

Nahhhh... too many obvious and distasteful lines here for me :-)

Eric
'68MGB MkII