mounting intake&exhaust manifolds - a question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: mounting intake&exhaust manifolds - a question
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 99 21:23:30 EDT
I'm replacing a Zenith-S with a pair of SU's and that requires replacing both
intake and exhaust manifolds.

So I remove the old stuff, put on the appropriate manifold gasket, slipped the
intake manifold on the studs and positioned the exhaust manifold at the right
position only to find the thicknessess of the two manifolds where the Fixing
Washer (p.12, left side #16, Moss Catalog) differ. (Neither manifold was
purchased new...) The exhaust manifold is significantly thicker. That means
either grind down the 'flat' positions on the exhaust manifold where the
washers sit
so the washers sit flat or build up the intake manifold.

Two questions:
Anybody encounter this problem and what was your solution?
Which of my two solutions is the better or the easier?

If the solution is to build up the intake manifold 'flat' indentation for the
washer, what material should
be used for shims?

TIA,

Bill