Re: Vibration at speed

To: "n<twobees@sprynet.com>" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Subject: Re: Vibration at speed
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 12:13:30 -0700
>The wheels (Minator alloy) & tires (Dunlop's) were balanced carefully by my
>friends at SascoSports.

Norm:

        Check to make sure the Minator wheels are seating fully on the front
and rear hubs.  I have run into cases where the hub casting were out of
spec.  The factory ran into the same problem when the Limited Edition Alloy
wheel was introduced.  At that point they started to machine the castings to
ensure clearance.  So far I have run into the problem with some 77-78 MGB
front hubs, and one case with a Saulsbury (68-) rear hub.  The Minator
machining was to spec. but the hub castings (the bit that sticks through the
wheel) were out of round and/or oversize.

        As previously posted by Eric, the clearance on the tie rod end is
also critical.  Some aftermarket tie rods have larger diameter heads than
stock, and can rub.  There is a fine line to get the correct offset wheel,
with required wall thickness on the car.  The Minators fit most
applications, but inconsistancies in production and replacement parts can
cause problems.

Hope this helps

Kelvin.