Re: Bypass clutched idle reducer?

To: "Tab Julius" <tab@penworks.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Bypass clutched idle reducer?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 14:40:59 +0100
I've never heard it described as an emissions reducer before.  It is not
compulsory (mine doesn't do it) and is usually caused by the crankshaft
thrust-washers having worn, allowing the pressure from the clutch to push
the crankshaft forward in the engine, so taking the con-rods out of vertical
wrt the crankshaft.  This causes more friction in the big-ends hence
reducing the idle.  If you pump the clutch up and down while the engine is
running an assistant may well be able to see the crankshaft pulley moving
fore and aft.

PaulH.