Re: Ghost in the Machine (part deux)

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ghost in the Machine (part deux)
From: David Tulchinsky <tulch@ccsalpha3.nrl.navy.mil>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 13:46:48 -0500
>The other week I queried about how my radio mysteriously played on after
>the key was removed (and engine cut off, etc)., but the second I touched my
>key to the ignition lock it disconnected (coincidence?).
>
>This morning, while having the radio tuned to FM 93.3 (playing a very
>British Pink Floyd, btw), I realized that a quick honk of the horn cleared
>power to the radio and I was suddenly listening to static on the default
>89.7.   I reset the station, did a quick re-test, and darned if honking the
>horn doesn't pull the permanent memory power to the radio.
>
>I have a new radio to put in (not because of this, but because the current
>one is a cheapo), but before I do I'd like to appease the Ghost of Lucas
>and find what's rigged up wrong.  Any ideas?
>
>- Tab

I have a similar problem with my radio (mind you it is a Toyota so it
should not have Lord Lucas ruling over it.)

As far as I can tell (at least in my car) when the horn is honked there
is a draw on the cars electrical system which causes a momentary
drop in voltage to the car radio.  This drop in voltage is enough to
cause the radio's memory to reset.  Since replacing the battery
and alternator/voltage regulator (one unit in my case) has had
no effect on my radio's performance, I'm suspecting that it
is the radio's internal power regulation system.    May be something
similar in your case.  My radio is a JVC if that is of any help.

-Dave

David Tulchinsky
Naval Research Laboratory
Code 5650