RE: High RPMs Bad?

To: "Charles D. Sorkin" <cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com>,
Subject: RE: High RPMs Bad?
From: "Gordon Bird" <gobird@vbe.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:09:52 -0500

The tach on my A has a 'yellow' line at 5500 rpm and the redline
at 6000.  I do have the original tach in place.  Oh yeh, I do have an oil
cooler.
Gordie Bird
62 MGA

**>**>Deal List:
**>**>
**>**>This whole discussion makes one wonder about the meaning of the
**>**>redline is,
**>**>anyway.  I assume it represented the point at which the cooling
**>**>system could
**>**>no longer dissipate heat at the rate that the engine produces
**>**>it.  However,
**>**>in going through boxes and piles of used guages at different LBC
**>**>events, it
**>**>seemed that they all pretty much had the same redline at about
**>**>5500.  Every
**>**>single one had the same redline, although the tachs were
**>**>allegedly for all
**>**>sorts of different marques with widely varying engines.
**>**>
**>**>I now suspect that the tachometer backgrounds were all printed
**>**>by the same
**>**>printer at the same time by Smiths, and BMC just ordered them
**>all.  Thus
**>**>regardles of where the engine should top out, all MG's seem
**>to have about
**>**>the same redline.  (They didn't alter the tach on cars with an
**>**>oil cooler,
**>**>did they?)
**>**>
**>**>Regards,