RE: MG Magic

To: "Florrie & Allen Bachelder" <bachldrs@swva.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MG Magic
From: "Gordon Bird" <gobird@vbe.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 09:30:30 -0500
This phenomenon still occurs.  In 92 I was working for a Saturn retail
facility (they're not "dealers") and one of the consultants (they're not
"salesmen") bought a new Saturn and one day we discovered his key would
start another car.  Upon further investigation we discovered his key started
*any* Saturn, and we tried all of the 200 on our lot!  Of course there is
the story (true) of the Saturn owner who got into 'their' car at the local
mall, and noticed on the way home items in the back seat that weren't there
before.  Yup, not their car.  Same year and color and the key worked.
Needless to say we changed all of the lock cylinders on her car for free!

Now for the MG Magic.  Back in @ 1972, I was on my 3rd LBC and 2nd MGA when
a buddy and I decided to do spring break in Fla.  I live in SE Michigan.
Kinda spur of the moment and as usual didn't have much $$$.
We were supposed to be there 5 days but ended up staying 2 weeks.  We met a
couple of girls on the beach one day who thought our car was 'cute'.  One of
the girls was an operator for A.T.&T.  Had a nice afternoon and said good
bye.  The next day, out of $$$ we decided to spend our last cents on a call
home to have some $$$ wired down so we could get back.  Well, the operator
we got was, you guessed it, the girl we had met the day before.  She of
course put our call through for free, and we were able to get enough $$
wired down to get home.
Magic!

Gordie Bird
62 MGA

**>I've heard that the door/boot keys have only about 20 blanks.
**>Indeed they
**>are interchangeable on two of my cars.  But ignition keys...?
**>Years ago we
**>had both a Nissan 210 and an 810 (circa '80) and I used the wrong key in
**>the 810 one day.  It went in, turned, started, but it took a trip to the
**>locksmith to get it back out!
**>
**>Allen
**>
**>>From: "Erich" <erich@mail.NGBM.COM>
**>
**>>Here is an interesting incident that apparently happened to my
**>brother in
**>>the B:
**>> A few years ago, when my brother was still driving the B
**>(Green; GB), he
**>>and a neighbor, who also had an 80 B (Brown: BB), were at a
**>friends house.
**>>They were joking around when my brother took the keys to GB and jumped
**>>into BB. He told BB's owner that he was just going to take it
**>for a spin,
**>>and proceeded to place the key to GB into the ignition of BB.  Whada-ya
**>>know, BB started right up.  BB's owner jumped into GB and started it up.
**>>I guess if I loose my keys I know who to contact. Now that's MG
**>magic! ;)
**>>
**>>Erich
**>>       -1980 MGB
**>>
**>
**>mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-m-gmg-mg-mg
**>
**>Allen Bachelder
**>'73 B - "done"
**>'76 B - daily driver
**>'73 GT - awaiting front wings
**>'65 B shell - awaiting paint
**>'67 GT - awaiting everthing
**>'57 ZB - parts car or resto-candidate? - awaiting decision
**>'49 YT - in "progress"
**>
**>mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg-mg
**>