Re: Ignition warning lamp solved!

To: "Skye Poier" <skye@ffwd.com>
Subject: Re: Ignition warning lamp solved!
From: "Steve Murphy" <k8vo@flyingbeers.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 22:04:05 -0500
At another time, Skye and I said:
>>According to what I've seen, the ign
>> switched accessories should be fed through the fuse box via the white
wires.

>Not exactly, ignition switched circuits are fed by white wires, but
>ignition switched AND fused circuits should be fed by green wires.  Err,
>this may be what you just said, but it could be read a few ways.

Yup, that's what I tried to say, but was less than elegant in doing so.

>So, there should be brown going to the ign switch, white off the ign switch
>going to (a) ignition system coil, tach, etc and (b) the fuse block where
>it turns into green to feed things like the heater fan, wipers and turn
>signals.

Exactly.  Except that in mine, instead of going directly to the fuse block,
it trips a relay which closes a circuit between the, uh, brown circuit, and
a white/brown wire which goes to the fuse block supply side.  The load side
is in fact green, very dirty and covered in undercoating, but green
nonetheless.

>Although who knows, maybe the 77 is different.  Sounds like you have the
>problem figured out, at any rate.

I think so... looks like the warning lamp indicates a voltage differential
between the ignition circuit and the alternator, so the voltage drop was
probably making it unhappy.

Happy Holidays!
Steve