Portland, OR MGs

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Portland, OR MGs
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 16:41:22 -0800
I was visiting in Portland, Oregon over Christmas and I noticed several
nice-sounding MGB-GTs in the local Auto Trader magazine, including an
MGC-GT with OD. My father tells me that Portland has some of the lowest
used car prices in the country; and despite its soggy reputation, rust
isn't that much of a problem since it seldom snows and they don't use
salt. There has always been a fair amount of British car activity in the
NW -- all my early LBC encounters were in Portland, Eugene, and Corvallis.

Anyway, I haven't noticed any listers from Portland, but it occurs to me
it might be a good source of cars for west coasters, particularly
northern Californios and Seattlites.

If there are any webfoot lurkers, I apologize if I'm giving away any
secrets. My father also related an anecdote about an unnamed foreign car
dealer of his acquaintance who was stripping and crushing GTs "because
there was no market for them". On returning from a trip to England, my
father told the fellow he should start shipping them across the water,
where Bs are much more highly valued overall, and GTs frequently sell for
more than roadsters. So, you could look at it as a service to the marque,
to save Portland's GTs from exportation or the crusher...  : )

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149