Re: Stud or bolt?

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stud or bolt?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 12:41:13 -0800
One reason to use bolts in the end positions becomes obvious if you ever
try to remove the manifold (say to replace the gasket) with the engine in
the car. If you have studs in the end positions, you have to undo the
manifold-to-headpipe flange nuts in order to remove the gasket (the
headpipe bumps into the steering shaft before the manifold clears the
studs). For this you need to get underneath the car, and they are real
buggers to get restarted (not to mention rusty and inaccessible).

To anyone who has experienced this, it is obvious that the substitution
of bolts in the end positions would make it possible to just pull the
manifold out of the way still attached to the headpipe, greatly
simplifying the job of changing the gasket, and not raising the spectre
of having to replace the exhaust donuts as well.

Not that I'm recommending this swap, I'm just explaining the probable
thinking of the POs in these cases...

Florrie & Allen Bachelder had this to say:

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149