Re: No More Speeding in the UK?

To: "James H. Nazarian" <microdoc@apk.net>,
Subject: Re: No More Speeding in the UK?
From: "Mike Lishego" <mlishego@asheboro.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 20:44:47 -0500
Climbing on the 'safety' soapbox, how is it that everyone fool in an
SUV is thinking "bigger is better?"  I can see that in a nicely
controlled crash, but not in the real world, where handling,
acceleration, and braking all play into the equation.

I read on another list how some folks are starting to rethink
things.  They tested some cars and trucks based on not crash safety
but on crash avoidance.  It should come as no surprise that smaller
sports cars fared well in avoidance tests while lumbering SUV's did
very poorly; some even rolling over, no doubt.

Now, if the rest of the world ever decides to be proactive instead
of reactive, we'll be alright.  Of course, the chances that
centuries of backward thinking will be reversed anytime soon is
quite a big pipe dream.  Yep, it's about as big of a dream as the
chances of speed control coming to fruition.

I've seen the way people drive, even the safety conscious.  It's
still fast.

I do like the idea that Mazda came up with for their RX-Evolv.  It's
a concept, but they had a computer-controlled card for each driver
of the car.  The car would limit the power output via computer until
the driver proved to the car that he or she could handle all of the
200-odd horsepower.  Very unique, as most reasonable drivers would
be at the limit long before the cell-phone wielding, throttle-happy
teenage girls even get enough horses to out-speed a good riding
mower.

Mike Lishego
http://www.mgb.bc.ca/virtualgarage/
1991 Mazda Miata
1986 Plymouth Turismo T1
1984 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE
1974 MGB

>IMHO such a system will never be effective. How long before folks
figure out how
>to bypass the regulator with a shunt? Wouldn't that be breaking a
law? (May we
>see a show of hands... how many of us have disabled smog equipment
in our MG's?
>And, what about those of us who have modified intake and carbs?
Hands down,
>thanks.) The stats from a variety of nations keep telling us that
increased
>speed does not correlate to increased highway death rates. Yet,
each time "they"
>want to force something down our gullets, we are told "Lives will
be saved."
>Phooey. Why, I ask, have I never, ever heard of anyone asking how
to install an
>after market air bag in an MG??? Is it even possible to buy one? I
wonder if it
>has anything to do with their ineffectiveness in most real world
collision
>circumstances (i.e. a California freeway multiple car pile up)?
I'll keep my