Re: No More Speeding in the UK?

To: microdoc@apk.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: No More Speeding in the UK?
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2000 20:37:37 EST
Jim,
In the real world air bags do save lives.  Over 1200 in an article I read
last year.  One thing you must understand is that they are not I repeat not a
replacement for seat belts they are for use in addition to.  The official
name of an air bag system is SRS (Supplemental Restraint System) the bags are
designed to supplement the seat belts NOT replace them.
In the multiple car pile up you mention, the air bag will deploy when the car
is strongly decelerated (i.e. hits the car in front) this throws the driver
forward into the bag.  When the next car hits from behind the driver is
driven backward into the seat.  Remember Newton object in motion stays in
motion / object at rest stays at rest?  No air bag is needed in this part of
the  accident.  If the car is spun and hit from the side, some cars have side
bags to protect driver/passenger in this case.
BTW I was doing an air bag demo for some firemen the other day and the
firemen, who see more accidents than you and I, confirmed that people are
surviving accidents now that 20 years ago would have been fatal.  Now not all
of this is airbags of course, better body structure has a lot to do with it,
but bags do contribute.
OK, I'll take the soap box out now.
Rick Ewald
(whose S 80 has 11 count them 11 separate igniters in the system)