Re: Muffling Air Compressor

To: "M. W. Jordan, Jr." <mw_jordan@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Muffling Air Compressor
From: Larry Dickstein <bugide@tfs.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 08:49:12 -0600
"M. W. Jordan, Jr." wrote:

> Wow - it is loud.  The compressor is a 6 HP single stage with a 80
> gallon tank.  Presently it is in my basement over in a corner.....

Assuming you have a concrete foundation, yes, it will be loud!  You might
make sure that it is secured well to the floor.  If it is loose it will make
even more noise.

> My current thought is to stud in a small closet for the compressor, and
> put fiberglas insulation in all walls and the top of the closet in hopes
> of containing the sound.

    You are on the right track.  The best overall fix is to insulate the
sound from the concrete walls first.  Depending on how much you want to
spend there are several fixes.  The average diner/restaurant gets eggs by
the case.  Between layers of eggs comes the cardboard "egg holders" or
whatever they're called and are about18" square, like the stiff cardboard
when you get a dozen at the store.  You can attach these to the walls in and
around the corner where you have located the compressor.  (The corner is the
real culprit here)  This breaks the sound up and absorbs some and will quiet
it down.
    The more costly sound deadeners do the same thing only better.  The
closet idea will hold down more noise yet.  Just make sure you will have
unrestricted incoming air to the compressor.  You might have to try several
things to get the level down where you can stand it.

Larry Dickstein
Lone Jack, MO