Re: Muffling Air Compressor

To: mw_jordan@mindspring.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Muffling Air Compressor
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 16:02:27 EST
In a message dated 01/17/2000 6:19:59 AM Pacific Standard Time,
mw_jordan@mindspring.com writes:

> My current thought is to stud in a small closet for the compressor, and
>  put fiberglas insulation in all walls and the top of the closet in hopes
>  of containing the sound.  I like the idea of having it inside so the air
>  temp is somewhat constant.

A couple of thoughts here.  first, there are anti-viabration pads available
from machinery shops that you can put under the compressor feet which will
decrease the vibration into the floor.  This will help.  Secondly, as far as
the constant air temp goes, don't forget that when air is compressed it get
hotter.  If you insulate the closet too well the compressor will get real
hot.  I know a shop that put his compressor into a closet (insulated) and
plumbed the shop with PVC pipe (cheap and easy) the air coming from the
compressor was so hot during high demand usage (body work) the piping melted!
 He had to repipe in metal.
Hope this helps,
Rick Ewald