Re: ABS experience

To: Ajhsys@aol.com
Subject: Re: ABS experience
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 18:53:01 -0500
Allen,

     I'll suggest that you are wrong in your interpretation of ABS brake system
operation.
A well-respected source of automotive systems is "Auto Service and Repair" by
Stockel & Stockel.  A few quotes if I may,

     "One of the most common body computer systems found on vehicles today is
the
anti-lock brake systems. .... Most anti-lock brake systems contain ... wheel
speed sensor units, an anti-lock control module, and a hydraulic actuator.  ...
The anti-lock control module uses the sugnals produced by the sensors to
determine when the anti-lock system should be activated. When a wheel is nearing
a lockup condition, the control module signals the hydraulic actuator to
regulate
fluid pressure to the wheel...."

   There's much more along those lines.  ABS prevents lock-up.  It's a great
system, in theory, but computers and sensors aren't always at optimum.  I just
suggest that folks with ABS should give them a try under controlled conditions
so
as not to be surprised, as I was.

Bud Krueger

--