RE: MGB Heater core

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB Heater core
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:58:30 -0800

> AAAAAH! Stop right now!
>
> No, really, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REMOVE THE BOX! You'll only come to grief.
> Merely remove the front cover of the box (after removing the clips and
> the two water hoses) and simply and easily remove the heater core from
> the box. Leave the main box in place.

Sorry Max,

whilst I value your opinion, removing the whole box is not such a hardship.
I expect the answer is "it depends".  On mine, I couldn't get the front
cover off due to one of the flanges that sealed the front to the rest of the
box, also, one of the clips wouldn't let go, so I pulled the whole thing
out.

Whilst you have the box out you can clean out the fresh air intake (below
the chrome grille under the windscreen), and the rubber drain tube.

I also found that removing and reseating the tubes from the heater box
(below the firewall) was not hard, and in fact a worthwhile exercise.

Andy

PS: I also dismantled my heater motor, and windscreen wiper motor after
being advised not to.  Admittedly they exploded into a diverse collection of
interestingly shaped parts, but I did get them cleaned up, reassembled and
working properly again (and the banshee wail on the heater fan is now
gone!).