Re: Battery Size info / battery cutoff switch

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Battery Size info / battery cutoff switch
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2000 12:07:03 -0400
Interesting post in view of the one I just sent - in which case my own
solution may potentially be a cause!  ...Damned if you do, damned if you
don't!  I've had starter relays fail, but not with these consequences.  '
Guess I'll order a bunch of cut-out switches.  In the meantime, I better
run out to the garage, take the cars out of gear, and put some wheel chocks
in place.

Allen B...

>From: "James H. Nazarian, Ph.D." <microdoc@APK.NET>
>
>Bob,
>
>If the starter relay spontaneously fails (corrosion or moisture caused), the
>starter will engage. I wouldn't believe it if it hadn't happened to me. There
>I was, alone in the warehouse with my car collection, happy as a lark.
>Suddenly, an MGB 35 feet away decided to start itself. It scared the bejeezis
>out of me. I calmly put my tools away and ran like hell out of there. Went
>home early that night.
>
>Good reason to stop this dangerous practice of parking in gear. Use the
>parking brake to hold the car. if it doesn't work.... fix it.
>
>Jim

         Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
         Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
         49 YT, 57 ZB, 58 ZB, 65 B, 67 BGT, 73 B, 73BGT, 76 B, &...
         New Castle, VA 24127
         USA
         540/544-7333