Re. MGs Bad in the Rain

To: "MG Nuts" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re. MGs Bad in the Rain
From: "David Hill" <davhill@cwcom.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 21:55:40 -0000
Hi,

Just for the record, I've driven several MGB GTs in the foulest of weather.
I used to live in the Mancheseter area and, when CB radio was in vogue,
Manchester was called 'The Rainy City'. What I found was....

Leakage: Only a problem when something was wrong, e.g. plenum drain blocked,
glass seals bad, no floorpans, etc.
Wipers: Slow but no more so than with the same system used on Minis,
Marinas, Rileys, Wolseleys, Scimitars, Gilberns, etc, etc. I once tried a
TVR which had a single blade, attached to...yes, the same rack/wheelbox
system. Now that *was* slow-I could see out for about 50% of the time in
heavy rain.
Roadholding: Fine on decent tyres but a lot of the cheapies around in the UK
have a very hard compound. You can't wear them out-some become family
heirlooms. On a B, they give you two means of steering, wheel and throttle
pedal.
Braking: No real problems with the disc shields on. I once had a set of el
cheapo, 'Metal Frein' pads-I lit those up outbraking a truck which cut me up
on a motorway. They ended up as ash, and were replaced with Ferodo ASAP.
Reliability: OK if the car is looked after, but even a dirty coil top can
stop them firing.
Demist: Useless, the quarterlights help.

All the best,

Dave H.

Can I Telework for you? See what I do, at...
http://www.angelfire.com/biz4/davtel/index.html
Troubled by a phobia? Know someone who has one? Go to...
http://www.angelfire.com/de/ukphobias/index.html