RE: Right Hand Drive in the US

To: "'Anthony Woodruff'" <tonymmedia@yahoo.com>
Subject: RE: Right Hand Drive in the US
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 11:36:10 -0700
Tony:

        I don't recomend a RHD car for regular use on American roads by a
novice.  Visibility is the primary concern.  Left hand turns and passing
become hazardous, as the vehicle has to be exposed more to oncoming traffic
to seek openings.  An inexperienced driver has enough learning situations
without adding to them.

        I've had a couple of close calls driving my RHD car on the street.
Even though it is bright red, with a white top, it's obvious that oncoming
traffic is not going to swerve to avoid the nose of the car sticking into
their lane.

        Picture sitting at a traffic light, wanting to make a left turn.
There is a large car opposite you also wanting to make a left turn.  The
only way that you can see around that car to see if there is oncoming
traffic, is to stick the nose of your car out into that oncoming lane.  (If
it was an SUV you would not have a problem, you could see under it.)  I have
been nailed by oncoming traffic at such an intersection.  I will lean all
the way over onto the passenger side to carefully check.  A novice would
likely take the chance and go........Booom.  Cute RHD car spread over front
of pickup truck.  Just my 2 bits.

Kelvin.
'