Can't get oil pressure

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Can't get oil pressure
From: abadeker@tribune.com
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 09:20:00 -0500
     Greetings, listers:
     During a long drawn-out oil change on the MGA that left the sump empty
     for a week, apparently the oil pump lost its prime. I pulled the plugs
     and spun the engine for longer than I have had to in the past when
     reviving oil pressure (after a long period without running, for
     instance), but no dice. (Yes, there is oil in the sump. I checked
     several times.)
     I pulled the oil pressure hose, thinking there might be some air lock
     or other, spun the engine again, but no oil ever squirted. I then
     tried putting the oil-pressure hose in a quart of oil, jacking up a
     rear wheel and putting the car in 4th and turning the wheel backward,
     hoping to suck some oil in via the hose: No luck. No doubt I have an
     inadequate understanding of the oil-flow path. Anyway, I am off to
     look at Barney's oil-flow schematic, but if anyone has any great
     ideas, I'm all ears.
     BTW, I have the spin-on adapter, not the canister. I didn't fill the
     filter before installing, but I never have before either ...
     Thanks,
     Andy Badeker
     1600 coupe