Coil springs and sports coils : 2 questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Coil springs and sports coils : 2 questions
From: Matthew Trebelhorn <matttrebelhorn@netscape.net>
Date: 31 May 00 11:47:32 EDT
First:

one of my 'B's front coil springs (moss 550 lb) is broken at its base.
How would this happen, and how serious is it?  Since the break is at the
base, ride hight is not affected, but I worry about it poking through the
spring pan or breaking further...

Second, though sadly non-MG:

I am resurrecting a Sunbeam Alpine that my girlfriend used to drive.  The
wiring is a mess, and when it runs, the Lucas Sports coil gets really,
really hot.  What might be causing this?  How should I check this?

Any assistance is, of course, appreciated.

Matt
(apologies if a similar message appears -- an e-mail glitch appeared to
eat it a few minutes ago...)